Friday, March 23, 2018

Staples

Well, we can add another medical treatment to our list of experiences. Paige and I made an outing to our local Urgent Care and then emergency room to take care of a one inch gash in the back of her head. It's a wonder DSS is not on our case yet after two broken arms, skin glue and now staples.

Let me start from the beginning...the girls and I got home from school and they began to wrestle, one of their favorite activities. Usually it ends up with somebody hurt and crying, but I have stopped policing this because they know that's what happens and they have to live with the consequences of it. In this particular case, I was actually in the middle of saying, "stop because somebody is going to get...." when Paige fell backward into our tree stump side table. I knew as soon as she hit it there was a possibility of her cutting open her head. Sure enough she reached back and then revealed her hand with blood on it.



So fortunately, I know heads bleed a lot, but the girls were freaking out. I positioned her in the bathroom where both of them couldn't see the blood stained shirt or bloody hair and we got the bleeding under control fairly quickly. Because she hadn't passed out felt nauseous or dizzy and was very communicative, I knew cognitively she was fine.

Patrick got a nice, calm phone call from me telling him he needed to come home and then when he arrived, I was careful not to show him anything either. My people don't do injury well and this is not my first rodeo. He was sweet to offer and take her to Urgent Care, but I felt he might deal better with the guilty feeling Anna we were leaving behind.

When Paige and I got to the Urgent Care the old school doctor we saw with the chin incident was there and didn't exactly evoke confidence from me. When I asked him how he was with staples, his answer was: not that good. What?! The PA wouldn't do it either and they explained they didn't have any anesthesia. I mean I don't need anesthesia, but you seriously don't have numbing cream? The whole thing just baffled me and I opted to go to the ER instead.

The ER was great...no wait in the waiting room, triage was quick, and the nurses actually talked to us about what they were going to do before poking around. Paige and I watched Little House on the Prairie while we let the numbing cream set in and then they gave her two staples. Of course, she was none too happy with that, but then they presented her with a stuffed bunny and her feelings changed quickly. I picked her up a milkshake on the way home and we called it a night.


Anna was so sweet to set up a rest nest and get her bath ready. Fortunately I was able to wash most of the blood out the ends of her hair and it's pretty well covered for school today. She wrote two poems about her experience since her class is studying poetry right now. I mean let's just make this educational while we are at it. When I was texting her teacher from the ER to let her know about school the next day, her sweet teacher offered to come over and sit with us. :)

So there you have it. I'm just shaking my head. Franken-Paige gets the staples out in a week. And honestly now that I've seen the whole process, I'm pretty sure I could have put some staples in myself at home. I mean if I can repair a dryer, I can repair my kid's scalp, right?!


No comments:

Post a Comment