This weekend was jam packed with fun activities. Several of our things got rained out the weekend before so this was the make-up time and we squeezed them all in!
First up, the Harborside Lights 5K. While this is traditionally done at night, they had to move it to this Saturday morning so it was really just Harborside 5K, no lights. Anna has always done well in this race and Paige signed up for the Fun Run. I thought it would be a little warmer, but the temps seemed to drop a couple of degrees when we go there. Fortunately, we could hang out in a nearby lobby before the races started. Paige was up first and her competition was one 5 year old boy. Ha! Not many people wanted to come out on a cool, wet morning. She enjoyed her little half mile loops and did it in 4 minutes. I'm not sure the race person who was helping with the event thought she would be going that fast! Nonetheless, Paige was happy she "won." Patrick used it as a warm-up for Anna's race.
The 5K finally got ready to roll and we were hopeful the rain would hold off. I'm sad to say about half way through the skies let out! There definitely weren't a lot of people out there, but we were excited by one girl Anna recognized from her school last year. She's a 6th grader at another school now, but it turns out they are running about the same times so Patrick was able to help keep an eye on her during the race, while her mom and I cheered at the finish line. Patrick is hoping to start a little girls runner club in the spring so I was quick to invite this friend and I think she's going to join us! The two of them came in 3rd and 4th females overall and each won their age division. Even Patrick won his age division. Anna had a PR of 23:40 which earned her another mug and now we have a family set. Ha!
We quickly came home to warm up some cold kiddos with showers, hot chocolate and a fireplace rest nest. I took Paige to a friend's birthday party at the movies where she was able to stay while I did some shopping for the class Christmas gift. This was really the first time I have dropped her at a party and not stayed. I could tell she was a bit apprehensive, but her best buddies were there and a good friend of ours promised to keep an eye out for her. She had fun and I was productive!
To end the day, we wrapped up with another race! No I am not kidding! Our neighborhood holds an annual Jingle Jog which is a mile run around our neighborhood loop. I told the girls they could just walk or jog slowly, but that didn't stop Anna who full out ran. Paige was not to be left behind so she ran the thing too and came over the finish line in tears due to cramping. But she wasn't going to not run! Let's just say they were tired girls.
Sunday was a little bit of a sad day, especially for our tender-hearted Paige. We found out the night before that Via, the class hamster, suddenly died. I had to tell Paige and she was teary most of the day. Her attachment to Via was strong and we had a chance to bring her home 3 times this semester. Reacting to the news, Paige wore black to church, including her socks, and tearfully admitted to others that she was "devastated" and "in mourning." It was a little funny, but we made sure to keep our faces straight. The sight of her curled up in Anna's lap on a bench sobbing which Anna just nodded her head and stroked her back was enough to bring me to tears. I've been praying for her class today at school because I know they will all have a tough time.
Sunday was not all tears. Anna and I did our Bible study group and I am happy to say we will be rolling this model out to all kids in our church. So exciting! I also helped in the elementary program at the last minute which was sweet. After church we headed to our local town's Christmas parade to enjoy a beautiful day and wave as folks passed by.
That evening Paige and I laid low while Anna and Patrick went to a basketball Christmas party. Anna was sweet to collect some little gifts for Paige to make her feel better. This unicorn mask was right up her alley. And that ended the busy, but festive weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment