When Anna entered a middle school where she didn't know any other kids, we talked a lot about friendship. Things like how to be a good friend which attracts good friends, taking your time to find and make friends that are going to be life giving, how to step away from friends who may not be that good for you, etc. Friendship was tough for Anna because she came into a school where many other kids knew each other and well...middle school. She was just hitting her stride when Covid hit and she was isolated from a lot of relationships. As she lamented not having any kids her grade to be friends with, I quietly and gently reminded her of the people God was placing in her life even in the midst of a pandemic.
Anna started cross country and then track. All of the girls were older than her and I was afraid she wouldn't necessarily fit in until she got a little older. But that proved incorrect and Anna was quickly accepted as herself. I'm grateful to these girls for looking past her age to see the fun, quirky kid in Anna.
We also still very much have our DC friends and while we don't see them often, we still communicate with them and getting back together means we pick up right where we left off. And of course, Anna's elementary school friend, Reese, is still very much part of our lives.
We're also grateful that Anna's bestie, Caroline is just 8 houses down and with being stuck in the neighborhood came lots of walks and backyard playtime. Caroline, being a year younger, has different friends than Anna, but circumstances pushed Anna, Caroline and a new friend (to Anna) Brantley together. The threesome would go for a walks and then we arranged for them to eat lunch together once a week. It was the bright spot Anna needed and I am so grateful for these sweet friends who laugh and are kind to each other. I can see their deep friendship and it's so neat because they are all so different from each other too!
Brantley celebrated her birthday this week and I got to see them all interacting at the end when I picked Anna up. They are just a bunch of silly, funny girls who laugh too loud and find joy in each other. I loved it and I am so grateful God has put friends in Anna's life, even if it's unconventional. It will be interesting to see what friendships look like next year when Anna is back on campus, but even if she doesn't make another great friend in 8th grade, I will keep reminding her of the special relationships she does have.
No comments:
Post a Comment